Monday, November 30, 2009

Rap Battle of the Conscious: Incarcerated Youth

It's Sunday night at Maple Lane, a medium/maximum security long-term juvenile facility, where youth are freestyling their "moment of truth". One youth sits in the middle of two others who represent his good and bad conscious. The youth in the middle initiates the action by asking himself "should I _____?" Then the good conscious and bad conscious rap battle, and at the end, a moment of truth occurs when the seated young man decides his course of action.
Some of the youth I knew from the workshop I did there in April 2009 on my heArtwrench tour. "Though I'm not glad your still in here, it is nice to see you again."
I'm always honored to collaborate with Gateways for Incarcerated Youth. Gateways offers cultural identity groups, college prep classes, monthly cultural events and they bring guest speakers for the youth in Maple Lane and Green Hill facilities. Check out the book gateways put out: Through the Eyes of the Judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment